Fabulous Recipes, Cooking for a Crowd & Dream Home Design
Sign-up for Fabulous Recipes!
Sandwiches for a Large Group
While I’m not generally a fan (we can do SO much better guys), there ARE times when logistical constraints dictate a nice deli sandwich. For example you may have limited cooking/prep/re-heating facilities, or limited cooks or limited time. In those cases, this is not a bad option. There is nothing at all wrong with the following lunch menu:
- Deli sandwich
- Bag of chips
- Apple or Orange (A bag of veggies is an option, but will add time and prep, plus you’d want dip to go with it. I’d stick with the fruit)
1 sandwich consists of
- Deli meat = 3 ounces minimum to 5 ounces more generous
- Cheese = 1 ounce (1 slice) minimum to 2 ounces (2 slices
- Bread = 2 slices
- Lettuce = 1/15 of a head of lettuce
- Mustard – Serve individual packets from Sam’s Club. This helps speed up the serving line and reduces waste. If serving mustard in squeeze bottles, assume ½ tablespoon mustard (.25 ounce) per person, and probably a 50% – 75% or up-take.
- Mayonnaise – Serve individual packets from Sam’s Club. This helps speed up the serving line and reduces waste. If serving mayonnaise in squeeze bottles, plan on 1 tablespoon (.5 ounce) per person.
- Tomatoes – Serve a plate(s) of tomato slices on the side
- Onions – Serve a plate(s) of very thin onion slices on the side. By far, the easiest way to slice the onions is using a mandolin on the 1/8th inch setting. This is the quickest method and will insure the onions are not sliced too thick. It will also get you the highest yield of onion slices per onion if you’re watching costs.
- Wal-Mart will provide very good made-to-order Hoagie Sandwiches. They will also individual wrap these if you ask.
- If you make your own, here’s how:
Hoagie to serve 4 – 6
- 12-inch Italian-style hoagie roll, slice and then layer in the following:
- Deli-sliced ham – 4 ounces
- Deli-sliced capicola – 4 ounces
- Deli-sliced provolone cheese – 4 ounces
- Deli-sliced Genoa salami – 4 ounces
- Shredded Iceberg lettuce – 2 cups
- Thinly sliced tomato – 2
- Thinly sliced white onion – 1
- Italian dressing drizzled over the ingredients
- Hot peppers, optional
- Slice the rolls horizontally, making sure not to slice all the way through.
- Open up the rolls and layer on the meats, cheeses, tomatoes and onions.
- Drizzle with Italian dressing and top with shredded lettuce and peppers if desired.
- Slice roll into 4 to 6 slices.
Sandwich Assembly Time Table
If you’re doing this at a facility where you have 10 – 20 feet of counter space, the quickest way to assemble the sandwiches is as follows:
- All prep workers should begin be prepping the lettuce heads first. This includes washing them, discarding any damaged or wilted outer leaves and breaking each head into approximately 15 “sandwich-size” portions.
- Once the lettuce has been prepped, each worker should set out rows of 2 slices of bread, spreading the slices in one of the rows with 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise as they are setting them out (this will be be bottom of the sandwich) and leaving all of the slices in the other row plain (these will be the top of the sandwich). This is most easily done using a mayonnaise spreader or off-set spatula.
- A second team of workers should follow behind the first team putting 3 ounces of meat on each sandwich.
- Another team of workers should follow behind the ‘meat team’ putting 1 ounce of cheese on each sandwich.
- A final team should follow behind the ‘cheese’ team adding the lettuce, and putting the top slice of bread on the sandwich.
- A final team should follow behind the ‘lettuce’ team bagging the sandwiches.
- These teams can consist of 1 or more people, depending on number of workers available and sandwiches required.
- Once a team has completed the first batch, they should repeat until all sandwiches are assembled.
Meanwhile, have one or more workers slice the tomatoes and onions and plate them.
Preparation can only be done one day in advance at most, and the morning-of is far preferable.
Bagged, prepared sandwiches must be refrigerated or in a cooler. They should be stored on multiple racks to prevent the sandwiches from flattening.
You may want to offer a second choice for the vegetarian or non-meat eater. This could be as simple as a buffet area set up with one or more loaves of bread, some lettuce, tomatoes, onions, cheese, sprouts with mustard and mayo. It’s been my experience about 2 – 3% of my guests (including teen events) would prefer a vegetarian meal.
Leftovers cannot be frozen.
Shopping List for the Menu
|Serving = 1 sandwich each||25||100||200||425|
|Shaved deli meat |
(3 ounce serving)
|4.68 pounds||18.75 pounds||37.5 pounds||80 pounds|
(1 ounce serving)
|6.25 pounds||12.5 pounds||26.56 pounds|
Sara Lee Whole Grain White Bread
(2 slices each)
(20 oz. loaf, 2 pk.) (20 slices per loaf)
|10 - 11 loaves||20 - 22||42 - 48 loaves|
(1 tablespoon (.5 ounce) serving)
|12.5 fl. ounces||50 fl. ounces||100 ounces|
OR 1 gallon jar Hellmann's® Real Mayonnaise - Total net weight 128 fluid ounce) (Sam's)
OR 3 packages Hellmann's Real Mayonnaise (36 oz., 2 pk. Total net weight 72 fluid ounce each 2 pk.) (Sam's)
(1/2 tablespoon (.25 ounce) serving)
|6.25 fl. ounces||25 fl. ounces||50 fl. ounces||107 fl. ounces|
(1/15 of a head of lettuce each)
|2 heads||7 heads||14 heads||29 heads|
1 slice (served on a plate on the side)
|4 pounds||13 pounds||26 pounds||56 pounds|
|Sweet Onions, sliced thin|
1 slice (on a plate on the side) (Assume 50% uptake)
|1.75 pounds||7 pounds||14 pounds||28 pounds|
| Ziploc Easy Open Tabs Sandwich Bags (500ct.)|
|30||105||205||1 (500ct.) box (Sam's)|
|Frito-Lay Flavor Mix Chips and Snacks Variety Pack (50 ct.) |
|25 small bags||2 (50 ct.) packs||4 (50 ct.) packs||9 (50 ct.) packs|
|Apple or orange|
(Nothing with peanuts please)
Welcome to Aloha Dreams!
I'm so glad you dropped by. I'm Betsy. Here you'll find my favorite fabulous, trusted recipes - everything from delicious, quick meals for your family to wonderful classics made easy.
I'm also here to help you with large group recipes from 20 to 200. So next opportunity you get to cook for a large group - Say 'Yes!' Then relax. I've got your back.
Ever wished you could build your dream home? How about building your dream home in a tropical paradise? Join me, room by room, as we design and build a fabulous dream home in Hawaii!
Explore Aloha Dreams
If you're planning a vacation to Hawaii, I've got you covered on the very best places to go! From many amazing restaurants to incredible adventures in the surf and on land, this is your go-to source for unique and exciting things to do on the Big Island of Hawaii. Or just take a Virtual Vacation!! Let's go!
If you've been asked to cook for a large group activity, be it a Girl's Camp or a Graduation Party, say Yes! I'm here to help. From Menus to Game Plans to Recipes, I'll help you keep on schedule and turn out amazingly delicious food if you're cooking for a crowd! My recipes are tested and trusted. Let's cook!
Ever wished you could build your dream home? Like amazing house design and home building ideas? Me too! Join me as I design and build a home on the Big Island of Hawaii. Follow along while I design each room. Enjoy a front row seat for the entire amazing construction process. Let's play!
Would you like to throw a Luau, but not sure where to start? Want to know how to build a tiki bar and roast a pig? Here's everything you need to have a luau. How about a Christmas Feast or even a fabulous dinner for your neighborhood supper club? You've come to the right place. Let's party!