For a quick and easy large group version of a peach pie, these Peaches and Cream Bars will have them lining up for seconds. The buttery pecan shortbread crust sets off the creamy peach filling. Top with fresh peaches if they’re in season or used canned if they’re not.
|Prep Time||30 minutes|
|Passive Time||4 hours in refrigerator|
- 1 package (16 ounces) pecan shortbread cookies crushed
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 package (3 ounces) peach gelatin
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 can (6 ounces) lemon-lime soda
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese softened
- 1 carton (8 ounces) Cool Whip thawed
- 6 cups peaches fresh, frozen or canned - peeled and cut in 1 " slices
- In a bowl, combine the cookie crumbs and butter and press onto the bottom of an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. dish.
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar, gelatin and cornstarch; stir in soda until smooth. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 5 - 7 minutes or until slightly thickened. Cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Beat in whipped topping until blended. Spread over crust.
- If using fresh peaches, peel, slice into 1 inch slices. Toss peaches with lemon juice. Arrange peaches over cream cheese layer.
- Pour gelatin mixture over top.
- MAKE AHEAD NOTE: Can be made up to one day in advance. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
Adopted from Peaches & Cream Dessert in Simple & Delicious June/July 2010, p58
Share this Recipe